I was started teaching leadership courses since 2012. Leadership is one of my favorite courses, not because of the context but because I can explore a lot of teaching methods in this class. Leadership project is the final assignment for this course. In my opinion, leadership is not a hard skill, but it’s a soft skill who can be trained. We need to be a good follower before we become a leader. That’s why in this course unlike other courses that I taught that emphasize analytical skill in this course I wanted student aware with their potential as a leader. The objective of this course is students can realize the leadership potential in themselves, students can build sensitivity towards social conditions else students can lead their groups to create a social project start from planning, execution, documentation to evaluating. They will meet some difficulties in the project, but problem-solving is part of the objective. There are some issues I have addresses for the student which:
- Civic Engagement
- Cultural Diversity
- Disability awareness/support
- Public safety: natural disaster, war, terrorism
- School improvement
The steps for the project are:
- Make a group contain 4-5 persons (or I can decide for the students because student tends to choose the member from their own group).
- Select the issues I have provided
- The selected issue will be presented in week 7, 1 issue can be selected for 2 groups. So, it will not be concentrated on certain issues.
- Select the object/places to conduct the social project
- Select the level of service your group will conduct. There are three levels:
- Direct service: you can make a face to face project, such as giving food to elderly/the poor one, shower animal in the zoo, preserve endangered culture etc
- Indirect service: in this level of service you don’t have to meet/engage with the object you can make some fundraising, collecting clothes, sponsor some food, donate some trees or plant some trees
- Advocacy: you can make a poster to gain public awareness, make some advertisement in social media to campaign some issue, make a letter for president or legislative, or you can make a video for some awareness campaign.
- Every group can choose 1 level of service or they can choose to use more than one level of service
- Discuss in your group and make some plan to solve the problem you will be promoted
- In the process, you need to document every step of this project
- At the end edit a short video with the duration of 5-10 minutes
- Uploaded your video in YouTube
- Deliver the link of your YouTube
- We will watch the video at the final week and have some response from YouTube audience and from your classmate
- Make a short report that describes the background of your project, place, duration of the project, the level of service, the process of the project, and the task division for every member of the group; who does what
Why do I ask my students to upload their videos on the YouTube because students tend to be more serious when their work will be published on social media? Another reason is to see how their leadership project can inspire others. According to Maxwell, a leader is influence and leadership is a way of influencing others. In 2012 up to 2017, I asked a student to upload video by their own, but in 2018 I asked one of the students to make one channel, so all the videos will be collected in one YouTube channel. Proudly present the link for the YouTube channel for the leadership in 2018.
For videos before 2018, you can be searched by typing the leadership project of the government science University of Brawijaya.